Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Todays Turning Point w/ David Jeremiah

Tuesday, June 30

“I Have Never Prayed”

In this manner, therefore, pray: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name…”
Matthew 6:9

Recommended Reading
Matthew 6:5-13


The late Methodist preacher, Charles A. Allen, once answered his doorbell to find a stranger on the stoop. “Something happened to me tonight that caused me to want to pray,” said the man. “But I have never prayed in my life and I do not know how. I don’t want you to pray for me—I want you to teach me how to pray for myself.”

What would we say to such a man?

Inviting the man in, Allan turned in the Bible to the Lord’s Prayer. He showed him how to kneel before an open Bible and to use this wonderful prayer as a pattern for telling God what was on his heart.

The Lord’s Prayer comprises just five verses and can be recited in less than a minute. Yet it contains all the essential elements of prevailing prayer: praise, priorities, provision, personal relationships, protection, and praise again. It begins with Our Father, ends with Amen, and touches every need in life. It can be committed to memory quickly, but it provides a lifetime of lessons for approaching the throne of grace.

The best way I know to learn to pray is to learn the Lord’s Prayer by heart.
Charles A. Allen

Read-Thru-the-Bible
Psalm 141:1 - 147:20

No comments:

Post a Comment